Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Realization of Age

I am not a morning person. I usually hit the snooze button 3-4 times every single morning. I shuffle my feet to the bathroom, squeeze my eyes real tight and flip on the light switch. Turn the shower on to get the hot water a flowin and then check the scale to see if I've lost any lb's.

But, this morning - the schedule was mixed up. And usually, I don't do well with changes in my daily routine. But this morning, Mike got up first and I got to sleep in an extra 15 minutes. This made me happy.

I'm not sure what triggered my thoughts on age this morning - maybe it was that extra 15 minutes of shut eye - but I started thinking of numbers. I'm 25 going on 26. Does that mean I'm an adult now? Sometimes I forget that. I have a college degree. I'm married. I have a house. I work full time. And, I deal with HOA issues. Yep, I'm pretty sure that means that I'm 'old and responsible' now. But, like I said - sometimes I forget that.

Sometimes, I forget that I've been out of high school for 8 years. In fact, it wasn't until last night that it really hit me that my sister will soon be graduating from high school too. I remember riding to the hospital to meet my new baby sister back in 1992. It seems like forever ago and yet it seems like it was yesterday.

A lot of my friends are married. And, a few of them have kids. At first, my thought was "Oh my gosh! That's awesome!" and then maybe a for a split second I would think to myself "Geez! But we're so young!" And that's when I started piecing together that I'm not as 'young' as I thought. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying at 25 is old - but it is certainly a mile marker. When my Mom was my age, she had a 2 year old (me). I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who has ever compared my time line to their parent's time line (or their friends' for that matter). One of my best friends has always 'obsessed' over age - and I always reminded her that it's JUST a number. Not a big deal at all. Don't dread birthdays - celebrate them. But, this morning - just for a split second I think I felt that feeling. The oh my gosh! I'M ALMOST 26!?!?!?!?!

And then I realized that there are much bigger problems to worry about in the world. So many people in Haiti will never make it to 25. Some will not make it to tomorrow. And that, put everything back into perspective.

Does anyone else have to remind themselves of their age? Sometimes, I wonder if I will still feel this way when I'm 50.

2 comments:

  1. I feel this way about once a month! Seriously! Like about a week ago I was sitting in the grass looking through my Real Simple while the kids were playing in the front yard and I though, "this is my life, i am an adult, i am sitting here watching my kids play, thinking about what to make for dinner." I think I will always feel about 20, a sophomore in collage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! Sometimes I'll see "kids" and think I'm the same age as them then realize I am actually waaaay older....other times I see them and think they look so young! Besides the fact that I NEVER remember how old I am. I'm rarely asked my age, so when I am...I can't remember it - ha!

    ReplyDelete